Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Beginning Marathon Training, Australia and Getting Punched In the Gut on the Subway

Friends, hi. We haven't died. Promise. Kristen is still out on... shall we say... sabbatical. Keeping up her aerobic fitness and strength like a champ, though. I'd like to say that Ive been really busy at work (again) but really I have just gotten back from vacation in Australia, and couldnt be arsed blogging from there. But! I did get in some miles.

Ran on the the Tan around the botanical gardens for the first time, which was very cool (though no Central Park). Also ran along the Yarra River trail, which is about 4 miles (each way) of uninterrupted, mostly flat, bitumen, two-lane bike/running path. While shorter than the Hudson River trail, it was just as (if not more) stunning and perfect for a tempo. Unfortunately I took no photos, but this is a pretty accurate depiction of the views of the city on the way back:

Source
Now Im back in the Northern Hemisphere, where the season of chronic dehydration and gnarly bra chafing is well underway for us runners. Theres been lots of running around Central Park:





And I'm 3 weeks into an 18 week training plan for Philadelphia marathon. I chose Philly because its a great course, has great weather for running, and is one of the latest fall marathons, giving me a good leadup (and latitude if work gets ridiculous or I get injured).

So, the first two weeks looked a little like this:

July 14-20, 2013
Sunday: 6 miles easy
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 8 miles with 4 at HM pace. I ended up doing 1x2 miles (6:53, 6:53) about 4 mins recovery, 2x1 miles (7:03, 6:58) with 1 min recovery in between. Very hot and humid that day.
Wednesday: 50 mins XT on stairmaster (KILL ME)
Thursday: 6 miles easy on TM w 1% incline, last mile at MP (7:20)
Friday: 40 mins elliptical, 10 mins stairmaster + leg strength workout
Saturday: 6 miles on TM easy, 20 mins stairmaster + core workout
Total: 26 miles (I was nursing the last of my shin splint pain, so replaced some miles with XT here)

July 21-27, 2013
Sunday: 12 miles, at easy pace (8:24)
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 8 miles easy (8:24 again)
Wednesday: 6 miles at 8:30, plus 8x100 strides at <5K pace
Thursday: 9 miles easy (8:15)
Friday: Flying to Aus!
Saturday: 6 miles easy (7:45 pace - usually fastish for easy run, but the day off, plus 40 degree temps got my legs going!)
Total: 41 miles

I'll do last week (in Aus) in my next post. For now, let me leave you with some gross pics of recent "running injuries" (because what running blog would be complete without them).

First up, the mammoth arch blisters I got from trying green superfeet for my shin splints (totally worked, by the way!!)


Then, the huge bruise I got from "running" into the elliptical machine at my gym. There is a reason why I don't participate in sports requiring even a modicum of coordination.


Finally, I don't have a picture of it, but I got punched in the gut on my subway commute.

The scene of the crime. While this old guy definitely looks shifty, he was not the perpetrator.
This chick in front of me on the stairs just turned around and came at me with a closed fist. I was winded, but fine (thank goodness for core work). I'm pretty sure her subway rage was  mistakenly directed at me (maybe someone else jostled her or something). I was shocked, and kind of upset, then realized that (a) I myself have frequently experienced the violent rage that accompanies commuting in NYC, so I get it; and (b) it probably made me a real New Yorker.  So you know, glass half full.

2 comments:

  1. To those of us with very little time in NY (I was there for trial prep for about a month once, and a couple long weekends, but not more than that), the subway punch is downright shocking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting it was actually a pretty shocking incident! But honestly, so much crazy stuff goes on in NY, you just get a little bit immune to it or something...? I dont mean to be flippant about it; mostly Im just glad I wasnt really hurt! ~Penny

      On another note.. you were here for trial??? SDNY?

      Delete