Friday, December 6, 2013

Wanted: Half Mary Training Plan

I want to find a training plan for my next goal race (March 9, San Diego Half). So far, I've been generally base building and increasing mileage slowly, preparing for harder workouts in late December, January, and February.

Last half I trained for, I followed Jeff Galloway's half marathon plan. But I can't really evaluate the results because of bad weather conditions at that race (epic winds). The cornerstone of the Galloway plan was lots of speed work (weekly). Also weekly long runs, and less emphasis on tempos. I think the plan got me into great shape. But given my recent injury, doing all that speed work would put me at too high of risk for re-injury.

Anyone have a reco for a half marathon training plan???

As I already reported, I had a pretty good showing in the 3 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving! Last time I ran a race, back in April at the Carlsbad 5000, I remember my joints aching beforehand and my body generally complaining afterwards. And then I ran another 5 miles.

{{{shuddering}}} at the foolishness.

A few weeks later, to my great surprise (at the time), I sprained my ankle. Likely because my joints were not recovering from my 55 mile weeks, but I pressed on with 10 mile tempos, epic speed workouts, etc.

I learned from my mistake, the hard way (as usual): I cut back in mileage for the race. I ran only three days, but they were all outdoor runs. No treadmill! This is my highest outdoor mileage so far this training cycle.

Still base building - race week/cut back week: 18.5 miles

Monday – 11/25
     Legs/core weights

Tuesday – 11/26
     Stuck at work all day/night.

Wednesday – 11/27
     Travel to Illinois.

Thursday – 11/28 THANKSGIVING!
     Ran a 3 mile race in 19:19.  + warm up and cool down for 5 miles total

Friday – 11/29
     Bowling with my fam, does that count as exercise?


Saturday – 11/30
     5.5 miles easy with 10 strides of about 100 m. Strides made me sore!! 

Sunday – 12/1
     8.0 miles easy.

two little runners
~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment