Thursday, December 27, 2012

Free as a bird and Christmas Prezzies

I'm not usually one to back away from a challenge. After the Las Vegas 1/2 went pear-shaped and my 10K was pretty underwhelming, Jake and Andrea suggested I hop in a 5K to get a PR and a good indicator of my current fitness. This, the thinking went, would really help me map out a training plan for future halfs/marathons in the new year. 

So I decided to do a Santa 5K run out in Rockaway Beach, Queens. Paid up and all. Which is weird for me, because I usually wait until the last minute, figuring there is almost always something that could prevent me racing (usually some dumb niggle).

Well I felt ok after the 10K. A bit tired but pretty fine. I rested for two days post race, then cross-trained on the elliptical the rest of the week. I was set to run the 5K on Dec 22nd. 

And then three things happened. I realized that because of Hurricane Sandy, the subway was still partly down in Rockaway. It would've taken me nearly 2 hours to get there and back with buses. Second, the weather went from a balmy 40-50 degrees to 30 degrees. The former is bearable. The latter begins to crush my spirit a little. Finally, the wind. 30mph winds were forecast. On a beach. With 30 degree weather. F*** that. 

So I felt a little wimpy for not doing the race. And I know I have a little PTSD with respect to wind after Vegas. But I was going to run it for a good PR/time trial, not to prove that I'm a complete hard-ass. So I figured it was going to be more fun to run a slower and less windy 8 miles through Riverside park and do a more 'true' 5K effort sometime later down the road.

Anyway, for now I am just going to enjoy some easy miles, get in some good strength training, and rest up my glute/hamstring weirdness before I set my sights on the next goal. It is so lovely, running whatever mileage/speed I want, outside of a training plan!! I feel free as a bird!

In the meantime, I am also enjoying two of my favorite Christmas presents. From the hubs, sexy new compression socks, made all the more attractive with the addition of wide-leg pants and Birkenstocks:


And my Christmas present, from me to me. A monstrosity of a down-coat, complete with fur-lined hood and water-proof shell, to  shelter me from the current impending gloom that is the New York winter. Below is not the exact jacket I bought, but very similar.

A re-enactment of Penelope's purchase of bulbous down coat, beneath which all legs look like toothpicks.

Merry Christmas all and have a safe and Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't work out, but the last thing you needed was ANOTHER super windy race. You are going to be due for some nice race weather in 2013!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I didnt want to be "that girl" moaning about bad conditions in another race. Not every race can be perfect, obviously, but I don't think I'll ever under-estimate wind again!
      - Penny

      Delete
  2. Birkenstocks, Toms, argyle, and the puffer - all in one post - this is just too much for me. ;) K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, its like yuppie-hippie-midwestern-golfingprepster all in one

      Delete